Not a member yet? Register now and get started.

lock and key

Sign in to your account.

Account Login

Forgot your password?

How to Fix Tax Return Errors

30 Mar Posted by in Newsletters | Comments
How to Fix Tax Return Errors

How to fix a tax return errorSuppose you discover a mistake or omission of an item on the 2014 federal tax return you recently filed. Should you ignore the error? The answer is generally “no” unless the error involves a mathematical miscalculation or forms you forgot to attach. The IRS will correct those types of mistakes and send you a notice.

You’ll fix other mistakes by filing an amended return. Reasons to amend include changing your tax filing status or dependency exemptions, or overlooking available deductions or credits.

Typically, you want to file the amended return as soon as you discover your error. If you owe additional tax, filing quickly will minimize interest and penalties. However, if the change will result in a larger refund, wait until you receive the refund shown on your original return.

Amended returns must generally be filed within three years from the date you filed your original return. After that, you may no longer be able to claim any additional refund.

If you discover an error or missing information on a return you already filed, give us a call. We can review the situation with you and help you prepare an amended return if necessary to fix your tax return error.

Leave a Reply