Not a member yet? Register now and get started.

lock and key

Sign in to your account.

Account Login

Forgot your password?

What Records Do You Need For Tax Preparation?

10 Feb Posted by in Newsletters | Comments
What Records Do You Need For Tax Preparation?

If you’re not a naturally organized person, keeping your tax preparation records in one place might not be easy. But gathering the appropriate records ahead of time will make it easier on yourself and help ensure the accuracy of your tax preparation. Choose a place to collect your records and include the following:

The basics: Full name, social security number, and date of birth for yourself and your spouse (if filing jointly).
Dependent(s) information: Dates of birth, social security or tax ID numbers, and childcare records.

Sources of income: Collect documentation of all income including W-2, 1099-G, 1099-MISC, and Schedule K-1 forms. Retain records of rental income, retirement income, interest (1099-INT), investments (1099-B), and dividends (1099-DIV). Also keep proof of other income, including gambling income, jury duty pay, trusts, or alimony paid.

Deductions: Sort all documents that can be used to support your deductions. This includes home ownership (Form 1098 and mortgage interest statements), charitable donations, medical expenses, health insurance (Forms 1095), childcare expenses, and educational expenses (1098-T from education institutions or 1098-E if you paid student loan interest).

If you’re having trouble identifying the forms you will need to prepare your taxes, give us a call. We’re here to help.

Leave a Reply