Not a member yet? Register now and get started.

lock and key

Sign in to your account.

Account Login

Forgot your password?

What to Do If Your Identity Has Been Stolen

13 Aug Posted by in Newsletters | Comments
What to Do If Your Identity Has Been Stolen

Have you gotten a tax bill you weren’t expecting based on income you never received? Has your federal income tax return been rejected, or your refund delayed? These unanticipated incidents can indicate your tax identity has been stolen.

Here’s what to do.

– File Form 14039 with the IRS. The Identity Theft Affidavit notifies the IRS that you are a victim or potential victim of tax-related fraud. You’ll need to include proof of your identity, such as a photocopy of your driver’s license or passport.

– File a report with your local police department. Under the Law Enforcement Assistance Program, you can complete a special form that allows the IRS to release information about the fraudulent tax return.

– Notify the Federal Trade Commission, the Social Security Administration, your bank, and the national credit bureaus.

Once you file Form 14039 and validate your identity, you may receive an identity protection personal identification number. That number will let you file your tax return and receive your refund. Be aware that straightening out your tax account can take a year or longer.

Call us for assistance. We’re here to help.

Leave a Reply